Poor school performance is one of the most common problems in primary school. According to statistics, more than half of students aged 7-10 for one reason or another have an insufficient level of knowledge. Such a start of learning activities requires attention and the immediate participation of not only the class teacher but also the parents.
Otherwise, failure to succeed will cause the loss of the incentive to obtain new knowledge and confidence in yourself. Due to the lack of success in the elementary school age, the child has an inappropriate attitude toward learning, as a result of which academic failure reaches a new scale. Not having mastered the elementary in the primary grades, the teenager will not be able to perceive information in high school.
The consequence of such a lag from peers can be a set of complexes, secrecy, and even depression. In order to avoid disappointment and loss of interest in acquiring new knowledge, parents who notice a lag in the school curriculum of their children need to take urgent measures to eliminate the causes of lack of progress. Keep reading how to tame foxes in minecraft.
How to deal with academic failure in primary school?
Parents who are faced with a similar problem should not think that their child simply plays some evil game with them. A schoolboy who is lagging behind in his studies seems, at first glance, quite calm and confident, stubbornly ignoring the learning process. In fact, due to his age, he does not understand the full extent of the problem and simply defends himself, starting to build a barrier from parents, school teachers, and even classmates.
Therefore, the easiest way to find the cause of failure is to build trust relationships in the family. Only, in this case, the baby will feel the necessary understanding and readiness to solve the problem on the part of the parents. With the right approach to adjust the behavior of the student will be very simple. The main thing is to find the cause in time and choose the right method to eliminate it.
Determine the cause
The factors provoking the lack of proper knowledge at school age can be a whole mass: the child is actively growing, making new acquaintances, becoming independent. His life is changing drastically and not always this growing person can find out how to live in a new way.
Experts group the main causes of school failure as follows:
- Pedagogical, consisting of the imperfection of the educational system as a whole and the shortcomings of teaching.
- Social and motivational, characterized by the impossibility or lack of desire to gain knowledge.
- Psychological and physiological, depending only on individual characteristics.
Due to their difficult age, primary school children fall into a vicious circle: failure to perform at the initial stages of education entails problems in the family and, as a rule, negative attitudes and lack of attention from the teaching staff. Thus, whatever the cause of bad grades, in the absence of actions on the part of parents, it develops into a whole spectrum of trouble in all areas of the child’s life.
Fix the problem
So that problems do not accumulate, parents must begin to struggle with school failure at the earliest stages. When detecting its first signs, it is important to eliminate provoking causes. To do this as quickly and efficiently as possible will help the instruction to combat academic failure, based on the opinion of experts.
You may also like: Facts about education in Mexico
Causes and methods of eliminating failure in primary school age
- Lack of preparation. Now the majority of children go to preparatory courses and by the age of 5, they know the entire school curriculum of primary schools. This does not mean that the mother of an unprepared child did something wrong. Just her child in such a situation feels worse and more stupid than their peers. During the passage of a new topic, the teacher always focuses on most of the class. And, as a rule, children who do not know the necessary information remain on the sidelines. They are simply embarrassed to admit that they don’t know something, and as a result, they are even more behind the school curriculum.
- Psychological lack of readiness for learning, inability to listen and hear. Such a schoolboy is hard to perceive information for a long time. Solve the problem in primary school can, daily explaining the material covered at home. This will not take much time – it takes 20 minutes to master the material, after which the primary school child loses the ability to perceive and memorize information.
- Lack of interest in the learning process. It is necessary to understand that students of lower grades are important not the result, but the process of learning. If it is bright and exciting, then the level of knowledge will be much higher. The ideal way to get information is in the format of a game when a school teacher does not just put the knowledge necessary for the program into the children’s heads but makes them think, stimulating the development of independent thinking.
- Lack of ability. Here we are not talking about total failure, and the lag in some subjects, along with noticeable success in others. Parents need to remember that the division into mathematicians and humanities becomes noticeable at a very early age. They need to have a lot of patience and accept that the complete lack of understanding of one subject is fully compensated by achievements in another.
- Tensions with peers. The younger school age is characterized by tangible jumps in psychological development. Quarrels with classmates, first love and the desire to assert themselves in the team can distract the child. Parents, in this case, should teach him to distract from social problems. To do this, set the correct example of interaction between people. You can spend more time with your family or go on holiday to new places.
- Insufficient teacher qualifications. The general school curriculum is not perfect. It involves obtaining a huge amount of information. Therefore, the preparation and endurance of the teacher are extremely important. Lessons in junior classes are held at a fairly high pace, in a noisy environment. Too quick-tempered, emotional teacher conveys his mood to his students. And they, in turn, begin to lag behind in school due to nervous overstrain.
- Physiological deficiencies. All the kids are different. And if in adulthood small defects become unnoticeable, in the primary grades the team intuitively identifies all the different ones. Therefore, students who have an abnormal vision, hearing or speech begin to complex, pushing the perception of information in the lesson to the background. To solve this problem, parents should teach the child to accept himself as he is, and also position himself correctly in the team.
- Lag in the school program. Often, poor performance in elementary school is due to frequent absenteeism. Staying at the hospital, the student should not miss the material passed in class. You can avoid this by recognizing the topics of the missed lessons and doing your homework yourself.
- Banal fatigue. The reserves of any person are limited. Due to the active growth and development of primary school children often do not have time to learn the program. To solve the problem will help the correct mode, which consists of the alternation of activity and rest, as well as assuming a normal 9-hour sleep.
- Lack of control. Despite the assurances of specialists that the primary school children need to inculcate independence, parents should understand that the child at this age cannot be given all the responsibility for learning. Therefore, they are advised to monitor the process on a daily basis: check the lessons, pronounce the material covered and ask questions about the topics covered. Moreover, no teacher can do this better than a native person who has known a little student since birth.
Timely identification of the causes of failure will help to lay a solid foundation of productive, and most importantly – easy learning. But when chasing high scores, it is important not to forget that school grades are not an indicator of future success. And the knowledge gained from the general education program does not always affect the quality of life.
The main thing for a little schoolboy is a feeling of understanding and support of native people. Subject to the preservation of healthy family relationships, love, and mutual respect, parents will be generously rewarded. They will not grow a child prodigy, but a confident, successful and promising person. And now it is enough just to find something that really fascinates a little schoolboy, and give him the opportunity to develop in the right direction!