A step-by-step guide to cleaning a velvet sofa with the best homemade tricks. Eliminate the toughest stains and return your sofa to the look of the first day.
The sofas velvet burst into decorating trends thanks to the influence of vintage style. But the truth is that velvet is a delicate fabric that requires certain care to keep it stain-free. Eliminating stains or scratches caused by use requires a non-aggressive cleaning protocol.
We prepared this guide to clean a velvet sofa easily and without causing damage to the upholstery of our sofa.
How to clean a velvet sofa
Velvet is a soft fabric made from various fibers. It has a nice and smooth texture. It is not an easy-care material that is why its cleaning raises so many questions . Avoid overexposure to food and drinks as a method of protection against stains, it is very common but it also limits us a bit to enjoy our sofa.
It is a delicate material with which we must be careful when cleaning it so as not to damage it. Therefore, we always recommend reading the manufacturer’s label to know what the cleaning and maintenance recommendations are.
Tools and Ingredients
To clean a velvet sofa properly and without causing damage we will need:
- White wine vinegar
- Liquid dish detergent
- 1 soft bristle brush
- 1 clean cloth
- 1 vacuum cleaner
- Vacuum the entire surface of the sofa thoroughly to remove traces of dust and food.
- Brush the velvet sofa with a soft bristle brush, do it gently, the fabric is very delicate.
- Prepare a container and mix the same amount of vinegar and warm water. Dip the bristles of the brush in the mixture and rub over the sofa in the direction of the fabric.
- Wait a few hours before continuing with the cleaning. Prepare another bowl of warm water and a few drops of liquid dish soap. Shake until a little foam appears. Dip a clean, soft cloth and wipe the stain or scratched area.
- Let it air dry with ventilation without placing anything on the sofa. You can speed up the drying with the use of a hairdryer at a distance of about 25 centimeters.
To clean a velvet sofa of recent liquids, use a dry cloth and dab gently on the stain so that it absorbs little by little. Do not rub applying pressure on the stain, the velvet could deteriorate.
With this simple routine, you can remove all stains. There are other techniques to clean a velvet sofa, such as dissolving a little salt and ammonia in warm water; then rub the sofa gently with the help of a clean cloth and let it dry.
It is very important to let the sofa dry well before using it again. In a few hours it may be dry if it is in a place with good ventilation, we recommend waiting at least a day to use it again. This way we make sure that the fabric is dry and does not suffer damage.
If you have a fabric sofa in your living room and you don’t know how to clean it, we share with you this article to remove the toughest stains: how to clean a fabric sofa.